WELCOME TO THE MDANTSANE WAY MAGAZINE

Mdantsane is a unique, vibrating, eclectic, African place. Follow us on a pilgrimage to Mdantsane to discover the street culture, fashion, food, people, music, homes, taverns, humor, businesses, history and what's hot in the second biggest township in South-Africa, located close to the city of East London in the Province of the Eastern Cape. Join us on this journey while we capture the spirit of this amazing place for you in the here and in the now. We are going to introduce you to many individuals, artists, musicians, groups and associations.
They are the HEROES OF DAILY LIFE. They are the people who create, innovate and improve their life and their stories deserve to be told. This is a place for only good and positive stories of humanity, that will send out a message of courage, endurance and strength to the world through their pictures and words.

Friday, August 16, 2013

MALAIKA - Miriam Makeba Sings - For My Brothers And Sisters Live 1977

Here comes some more African music. We have created this video a couple of months ago and we hope that you do like it... it sort of embodies many different facets of Africa. 

The unforgettable Miriam Makeba sings the Tanzanian song "Malaika" in her own inimitable way. The track was recorded live in 1977 and is part of the vinyl LP "For My Brothers And Sisters" produced by the Black Music label. We prefer this version to any other version and we think Makeba has captured entirely the spirit of this wonderful song of East African origin singing it in English and Swahili.
When it comes to the part where she sings "I love you my angel, I said, I love you my angel" the power of her voice triggers an entire waterfall of emotions........
Yeah, it is THE MAKEBA.....

About The Song 
Malaika is a Swahili song and comes from Tanzania. 
Malaika means angel in Swahili. Like many Swahili words, it has its origin in the Arabic language. An alternative Swahili meaning is a "baby" or "small child". 
The traditional version of the song Malaika is being commonly used as a lullaby throughout East Africa. Malaika is one of the most widely known of all Swahili songs.
The authorship of this beautiful popular song is still disputed. Many attribute it to the Kenyan musician Fadhili William.  For sure is, that William was the first to record the song, together with his band the Jambo Boys, in 1960.
It was later re-recorded at Equator Sound Studios by the British-born Kenyan music promoter Charles Worrod, who marketed the ballad to eventually become an internationally acclaimed song. 
The song went on to be popularised by many international artists including Angelique Kidjo, Harry Belafonte and Miriam Makeba to name only a few.
The lyrics of the song differ slightly from version to version; the title itself is subject to variation, e.g. to Ewe Malaika or My Angel.

Our Kenyan friend Asha (thank you Asha) has translated the original text into English for us. Well, again it is all about love and the "lobola", the bride price a young man has to pay for his beloved and simply can not afford it.
  
Malaika, nakupenda Malaika
 Angel, I love you angel
Malaika, nakupenda Malaika
 Angel, I love you angel
Nami nifanyeje, kijana mwenzio
 and I, what should I do, your young friend
Nashindwa na mali sina, we,
 I am defeated by the bride price that I don't have
Ningekuoa Malaika
 I would marry you, angel
Nashindwa na mali sina, we,
 I am defeated by the bride price that I don't have
Ningekuoa Malaika
 I would marry you, angel

Kidege, hukuwaza kidege
 Little bird, I think of you little bird
Nami nifanyeje, kijana mwenzio
 and I, what should I do, your young friend
Nashindwa na mali sina, we,
 I am defeated by the bride price that I don't have
Ningekuoa Malaika
 I would marry you, angel
Nashindwa na mali sina, we,
 I am defeated by the bride price that I don't have
Ningekuoa, Malaika
 I would marry you, angel

Pesa zasumbua roho yangu
 The money (which I do not have) depresses my soul
Pesa zasumbua roho yangu
 the money (which I do not have) depresses my soul
Nami nifanyeje, kijana mwenzio
 and I, what should I do, your young friend
Ningekuoa Malaika
 I would marry you, angel
Nashndwa na mali sina, we
 I am defeated by the bride price that I don't have
Ningekuoa Malaika
 I would marry you, angel

About The Images Used in The Film
The images were taken some sixty years back by the street photographer and scientist Dr. Juergen Schlichting, who was our publisher's uncle. He was the man who taught Chocolat how to see and how to take pictures. And as Chocolat says, this was the greatest gift of her life.
Schlichting traveled and photographed the African continent at a time when not many others where taking this road. He started in the late 1940's and continued until the end of his life which ended sadly at the age of 46. His images are witnesses of an Africa that is no more!
One more reason to continue with The Mdantsane Way. We know by now, that later generations will look at what we are documenting today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails