WELCOME TO THE MDANTSANE WAY MAGAZINE

Mdantsane is a unique, vibrating, eclectic, African place. Follow us on a pilgrimage to Mdantsane to discover the street culture, fashion, food, people, music, homes, taverns, humor, businesses, history and what's hot in the second biggest township in South-Africa, located close to the city of East London in the Province of the Eastern Cape. Join us on this journey while we capture the spirit of this amazing place for you in the here and in the now. We are going to introduce you to many individuals, artists, musicians, groups and associations.
They are the HEROES OF DAILY LIFE. They are the people who create, innovate and improve their life and their stories deserve to be told. This is a place for only good and positive stories of humanity, that will send out a message of courage, endurance and strength to the world through their pictures and words.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Release It Into Song


There he was, sitting alone on a bench in the back of a church whose walls were painted in a bright orange.


The only man who was watching about 20 elderly women who where celebrating a late Mother's Day in June.


Coming closer I could see his face. 
I have always believed in coming closer.
I have always believed that the simple fact that you decide to come closer enriches your life.


When humans get older their faces become like paintings conveying a little bit of the spirit that has lived and is still living in this body for a whole life. Even if we ourselves don't like our changed physical appearance when looking in the mirror, as an artist I think it is beautiful. Over time our faces become alive.


I can not tell you how many times, while working on this book, I would have loved to pause and stay a little longer and hear someone's story right through to the end. 
Even when just catching a glimpse of someone on the street I often feel like saying to that person: I would like to listen to your story from the beginning right to the end - if you would like to talk. 
I can not count how many times I had that wish in my life. Often you can pause and listen but many times you have to move on. 


I really do not know who he is and I had not the time to get to know him.
But I have this beautiful photo of his face which is like a painting of life itself

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails